Norwich’s Maddermarket Theatre hopes to recruit more actors for its shows
A Norwich theatre that has been producing shows in the city for nearly a century is hoping to recruit more budding actors to take part in its performances.
The Maddermarket Theatre, which has been home to The Norwich Players for 90 years, is holding an open day on Sunday where experienced or would-be actors can find out more about the theatre, take a tour of the St John's Alley venue, and meet the recently-appointed artistic director Genevieve Raghu and other members of the team.
Miss Raghu said: 'The Maddermarket is my heart and soul now, and that means sharing it with as many artists as possible - I'm welcoming people with open arms. I'm doing my best to nurture talent - this is a theatre where careers can start. There's a chance to do things on every level. There is an open door.'
A Maddermarket production takes to the stage every month and has acting opportunities for all ages.
The theatre is currently auditioning for four shows - When We Are Married by J.B.Priestley, A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie, The Old Country by Alan Bennett, and the theatre's Christmas show which will be The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit.
You may also want to watch:
The theatre also has an in-house education department offering courses and development groups for all ages and experience levels.
General Manager Les Hoare said: 'To those budding actors out there who may think performing on the Maddermarket stage a hurdle too high - please don't. If you have it in you we will bring it out of you!'
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 2 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 3 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 4 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 5 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 6 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 7 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
He added; 'We are a great theatre, a friendly and welcoming theatre and I'm told by so many people involved at the Maddermarket that they adore this place.
'We have a very talented pool of actors who freely give their time because the Maddermarket is such a great performing space and they are supported by a skilled and dedicated team.
'I share Genevieve's vision, enthusiasm and determination to make our programme even more exciting and challenging and to achieve this we want to work with the best actors Norfolk has to offer.
'We want to give the opportunity to actors who have yet to experience the Maddermarket, to come here, meet us and see what we are all about.'
• The Maddermarket Theatre open day is on Sunday is from 1pm until 6pm.
Casting and volunteer application forms will be available at the box office on the day and a passport size photo will be required with applications.
For more details contact Miss Raghu by emailing email@example.com or by calling 01603 626560, or visit the theatre's website at www.maddermarket.co.uk
• Are you involved in a new theatre project in Norwich?
Call reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email firstname.lastname@example.org