Norwich’s historic market to be celebrated as part of Love Your Local Market fortnight
- Credit: Laura Baxter
A celebration of Norwich's more than 900-year-old market will take place over the next two weeks as part of Love Your Local Market fortnight.
Running between May 17 and 31 Norwich City Council will be highlighting different stalls on their Twitter page.
And visitors to the market on Wednesday, May 31 between 10am until 4pm, can take part in a treasure trail to find Norwich and Norfolk local heroes, have their face painted, win market vouchers and other goodies in a free lucky dip, plus enjoy live music.
As well as being great for children, the free treasure trail is an opportunity to explore the diverse range of goods on offer at Norwich market - from vacuum cleaner parts to cakes, sausages, city souvenirs, books, and fruit and vegetables, plus there's a prize for everyone who completes the trail.
After taking part in the activities, visitors can rest at the revamped seating area at the back of the market and enjoy some of the new street food on offer, including gourmet curried pies, Singapore inspired dishes, Italian street food, lasagne, falafels, fresh smoothies, Indian hot snacks, local craft beers and deli-style sandwiches. There will also be opportunities for entrepreneurs interested in starting a small business on the market to meet council officers and traders for an informal chat.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Wright, Norwich Market Traders Association chairman and owner of Taxi Vintage, said: 'The market is the beating heart of Norwich. I hope Love Your Local Market fortnight and our celebration day will help shoppers and entrepreneurs realise how brilliant the market really is.'
Kristina Fox, market manager for Norwich City Council added: 'It's a super exciting time on Norwich market, new stalls are opening all the time and I hope this Love Your Local Market celebration day really gives people who have never ventured onto the market before, or who haven't visited for some time, the chance to come and have a look.'
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 5 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 6 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 7 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 8 Man seriously injured after Norfolk crash
- 9 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 10 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
Love Your Local Market is a national campaign which runs every year to celebrate market culture, highlight the importance of markets to their communities and local economies, and encourage entrepreneurship. Trail sheets and information will be available from stall 123 on May 31. For updates follow @NorwichCC on Twitter or hashtag #NorwichMarket and #LYLM2017