Norwich’s BE project ends after five years
It has helped hundreds of youngsters realise their potential and follow their dreams.
BE project, housed at the community based charity Future Projects in Norwich, has been using music and media to connect with disadvantaged 10 to 25-year-olds for the past five years.
Now the project is drawing to a close with a catalogue of successful projects to be proud of.
Ranging from a hip hop and classical crossover featuring Britten Sinfonia, to a young people's weekly radio show on Future Radio, summer and Easter schools and writing projects in the county's libraries.
BE project co-ordinator, Will Wilson, 37, admitted it is sad to end the scheme, funded from a £470,000 grant from Big Lottery, but he praised what it has achieved.
You may also want to watch:
'This programme has been empowering young people through engagement in different areas of music and media and attempting to work with local and national services to improve opportunities for young people,' he said.
'The programme offered support, advice, choice, friendship, inspiration and direction. Our approach has always been to get in amongst the young people we work with and talk to them on a level, a level which is common to both us and them.'
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 9 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 10 Glamping site approval despite highway safety concerns
Since its formation in 2009, BE has helped 750 hard-to-reach young people to develop new skills, access support, jobs, education and training. It is the biggest project Future have undertaken.
The support side of the project, provided by BE, will be absorbed back in to other Future Projects, while the team seeks funding for more music-based ideas.
• Do you have a story about a worthwhile project? Email firstname.lastname@example.org