Norwich restaurant damaged by fire to reopen
The Norwich restaurant damaged by fire a few months ago is to reopen next week.
About 50 firefighters tackled the blaze at Zizzi, in Tombland, in October.
It has been shut ever since and is to reopen its doors to the public for the first time on Thursday, March 10.
To celebrate, on the opening night diners can order any dish off the menu and only pay what they think the food, service and overall atmosphere of the restaurant is worth.
The restaurant's interior has been given a new look as part of the repair work and includes inspiration from the building's history. The building was previously a Victorian coach house and the new decor reflects this with the use of Victorian styles and equestrian elements. There is also a new open kitchen.
Helen Jones, Zizzi managing director, said: 'It's not often that restaurants invite customers to pay what they want for a meal. It'll be very interesting to see what the locals think of the new look restaurant, as it is influenced by themes that are close to the heart of Norwich's heritage.'
As previously reported, crowds of people had gathered to watch the huge plumes of smoke rise from the Zizzi building during the fire in October. The smoke could be seen and smelt across the city and 10 fire crews and supporting units attended the scene.
- 1 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 3 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 4 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 5 Tractor stopped on A11 found to have faulty brakes
- 6 Norfolk holiday cottage business sold to a leading lettings agency
- 7 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 8 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 9 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 10 Long delays after person cut out of car on A1065
Zizzi and the surrounding buildings were evacuated but no one was injured.
The cause of the fire was found to be a blaze in the extraction system, which takes air out of the kitchen, which then spread to the roof timbers.
• The 'pay what you want' evening at Zizzi on March 10 applies to food only. Drinks are not included.