Norwich pubs back Camra campaign to promote boozers
Dozens of pubs in the Norwich area have already signed up to a new national campaign aimed at boosting trade.
Camra's first community pubs month, which is being launched on April 2, aims to increase footfall in pubs, encourage more publicans to promote new or existing events to attract further trade, and to spread awareness of community pubs throughout the media.
Nationwide, more than 5,500 pubs have signed up to participate in the campaign, which ties in with the Evening News Love your Local campaign, which aims to get customers to return to pubs.
One of the pubs taking part is The Kings Arms in Hall Road, Norwich whose landlady Michaela Fry said: 'It's about trying to get people back to pubs because people are cutting back at the moment. I think it's good that Camra has recognised that we do need help and is trying to raise awareness of community pubs in the media.'
The King's Head is owned by Bateman's Brewery and is currently being repainted outside and its wooden floor is being cleaned. As part of the community pubs month, it is holding a special St George's Day 'sausage and mash bash'.
Community Pubs Month is taking place at a time when 16 pubs are shutting their doors across Britain each week. Throughout April Camra will be announcing its local Pubs of the Year, which have recently been judged by Camra's local branches, and the dedicated website – www.communitypubsmonth.org.uk – is geared up to give pubs free publicity through listing any events licensees have planned. Pubs signing up will be given free promotional material to help promote their events.
A host of events are already taking place across the country, including everything from Easter egg hunts to Nintendo Wii competition nights, and from movie screenings to karaoke nights.
- 1 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 4 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 9 Significant damage to church after metal stolen from roof
- 10 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
Tony Jerome, Camra head of marketing, said: 'We know how hard many pubs are having to work in the current climate in order to stay afloat. One of the key drivers of Community Pubs Month is therefore to shout out loud about the many different ways pubs support their local communities by offering a wide range of events that engage local people and encourage them to come together.'
For more information visit www.communitypubsmonth.org.uk.
To see more stories from our LYL campaign visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyourlocal.
What big events has your local set up in April? Call David Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com.