Norwich prisoner cheated with classic poem - and still lost
A Norwich prisoner who copied a poem by Philip Larkin in a bid to win a poetry competition was caught out after fellow inmates spotted the plagiarism. Sergio Lapa, 36, was only awarded second place in a poetry competition in the prisoner's magazine Inside Time - despite the fact he had submitted what is widely regarded as a classic.
The prisoner, who is awaiting trial at HMP Norwich on a charge of attempted murder, entered a poem called In Bed in his attempt to win the �25 prize in the March edition of the magazine.
But he was caught out when at least eight prisoners spotted the poem was an exact copy of Philip Larkin's poem Talking In Bed.
A prison worker also wrote to the magazine to point out the poem was a copy of the 1964 poem about isolation, disillusion and failure and that Mr Lapa had been caught 'bang to rights'.
A spokesman for Inside Time confirmed it had received 'many letters' about the poem. He added: 'Do not plagiarise other people's work, as you WILL be found out.'
The poem by Larkin lost out in the competition to a contribution titled Relating from a prisoner called Brian Darby, of HMP Maidstone.
- 1 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 2 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 5 Warning after dogs left 'limp or lifeless' by mystery illness
- 6 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 7 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 8 A146 closed after three vehicles and motorcycle involved in crash
- 9 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 10 Great Yarmouth's model village Banksy sold at auction
Philip Larkin's Talking in Bedm, which was submitted by Norwich Prison inmate Sergio Lapa
At this unique distance from isolation
It becomes still more difficult to find
Words at once true and kind
Or not untrue and not unkind