Norwich Model Boat Club celebrates the official opening of their new access point at Eaton Park in Norwich
A group of model boat enthusiasts have been celebrating the official opening of their new access gate, pictured right, at a city park that they say will help safeguard the future of their club.
For about 16 years Norwich Model Boat Club has been campaigning for better access to the boating lake at Eaton Park in Norwich, as many of the club's elderly members were struggling to get their boats to the pond.
Yesterday was a proud day for them as their new gate giving them direct access was officially opened by the Lord Mayor Jenny Lay.
Richard Thurston, vice chairman of the club, said the new access would secure the club's future, and he said there was a good turnout for yesterday's official opening with more than 50 model boats at the pond.
He said the new �6,000 facility, opposite Pettus Road, was funded by the club, and that the club had been helped by a number of suppliers giving them generous discounts.
You may also want to watch:
The gate will be open to club members on Saturdays and Sundays, giving direct access for members to drop off model boats and for disabled members to park near the pond. Mr Thurston said the emergency services will also be able to use the entrance.
Norwich Model Boat Club was founded in the 1920s and currently has more than 100 members. The club is hosting a model warship day on May 6.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 3 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 4 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 5 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 8 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 9 Woman who got stuck in marshes rescued by coastguards
- 10 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
For more information about Norwich Model Boat Club visit www.norwichmodelboatclub.com