Norwich Model Boat Club celebrates the official opening of their new access point at Eaton Park in Norwich
A group of model boat enthusiasts have been celebrating the official opening of their new access gate, pictured right, at a city park that they say will help safeguard the future of their club.
For about 16 years Norwich Model Boat Club has been campaigning for better access to the boating lake at Eaton Park in Norwich, as many of the club's elderly members were struggling to get their boats to the pond.
Yesterday was a proud day for them as their new gate giving them direct access was officially opened by the Lord Mayor Jenny Lay.
Richard Thurston, vice chairman of the club, said the new access would secure the club's future, and he said there was a good turnout for yesterday's official opening with more than 50 model boats at the pond.
He said the new �6,000 facility, opposite Pettus Road, was funded by the club, and that the club had been helped by a number of suppliers giving them generous discounts.
The gate will be open to club members on Saturdays and Sundays, giving direct access for members to drop off model boats and for disabled members to park near the pond. Mr Thurston said the emergency services will also be able to use the entrance.
Norwich Model Boat Club was founded in the 1920s and currently has more than 100 members. The club is hosting a model warship day on May 6.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 3 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
- 4 Schools face classroom closures due to Covid
- 5 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 6 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 7 Escaped giant eagle owl spotted in Norwich city centre
- 8 Hospital worker set for £60,000 payout after raising 'bullying' concerns
- 9 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 10 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
For more information about Norwich Model Boat Club visit www.norwichmodelboatclub.com