Norwich kitchen fire could have started due to falling asleep while cooking

Albany Road, in Norwich, where a fire broke out overnight. Photo: Geraldine Scott

Albany Road, in Norwich, where a fire broke out overnight. Photo: Geraldine Scott - Credit: Geraldine Scott

A house fire which saw two people rescued overnight in Norwich may have started after the occupants fell asleep while cooking food.

Albany Road, in Norwich, where a fire broke out overnight. Photo: Geraldine Scott

Albany Road, in Norwich, where a fire broke out overnight. Photo: Geraldine Scott - Credit: Geraldine Scott

The fire, in Albany Road, broke out at around 2.30am and three fire crews were called to a reported kitchen fire.

Three crews from Sprowston, Carrow and Earlham rushed to the scene and rescued the two people, before firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used main and hose reel jets to extinguish the fire.

This morning, neighbours said they believed the pair had fallen asleep while cooking some food.

One neighbour said: 'I don't think it was a big fire, I think they just fell asleep while cooking some food.


You may also want to watch:


'I was woken up by the alarm.'

Another added: 'I don't think anyone was too seriously hurt.'

Most Read

A spokesman for Norfolk Fire and Rescue said the situation was under control by 2.54am and that neighbours had been alerted by a carbon monoxide alarm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus