Firefighters at gas explosion in Norwich
PUBLISHED: 11:11 19 March 2019 | UPDATED: 15:03 19 March 2019
Firefighters were called to a building fire caused by a small gas explosion in Norwich.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service and police were called to reports of a fire caused by a damaged gas pipe in Norvic Drive on Tuesday morning.
Fire crews from Earlham, Carrow and Sprowston along with the environmental protection unit attended the scene at around 9.34am.
North Earlham station manager Alan Jaye said only one house was affected and neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution.
Firefighters cordoned off the area after extinguishing a fire which had began at the rear door. “We had a gas leak which, fortunately for us, ignited,” Mr Jaye said. “If [a gas leak] doesn’t ignite it spreads round, but if it comes out as a flame it burns out.
“The gas board cut out the supply to the property. There were no injuries and damage to the property was minimal.”
The road had been closed near to Bluebell Road and reopened at around 11.20am.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box below for details.