Norwich fans epic 92-club adventure to end with a fundraiser at Langley School
- Credit: Submitted
A group of Norwich City fans who visited 92 league grounds in 92 hours to raise money for three charities close to their hearts will be bringing their adventure home for a final fundraiser.
Canaries supporter Andrew Walker plus six of his friends raised £6,500 for Marie Curie Cancer Care, Macmillan Cancer Support and Help For Heroes after completing their challenge last month, and will be holding a curry and quiz night to boost that total at Langley School in Loddon on November 29.
The challenge was the brainchild of Mr Walker, who wanted to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care in memory of his mum, Susanne, who passed away after a long battle with leukaemia in January 2012.
The team, which included Paul Clark who teaches business studies at Langley School along with Andy Blanchflower, Paul Chamberlain, John Norton, Mike Sherburn and Nick Dyson, started at 6pm on October 19 after watching Norwich City take on Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in north London. A grand total of 2,256 miles later, they concluded their challenge at Stamford Bridge – one minute before their 2pm deadline on October 23.
The quiz night will be the climax to their fundraising challenge and will include a silent auction and a raffle, with items donated by football clubs from around the country – including match tickets, signed shirts and footballs.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Sherburn said: 'It was a superb achievement, one that I didn't really appreciate until after it was over. The chance to raise a bit more money for our causes is a fantastic opportunity and this event is going to be a lot of fun.
'We've had some great support from lots of the clubs we visited – with some letting us go on the pitch, visit the dressing rooms and even meet the manager in a couple of cases.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR
'There has been a lot of generosity and all of us who made the trip are really looking forward to meeting so many supporters as well.'
Tickets for the evening, which cost £15, include a curry and your first drink at the bar. Tables can take up to seven people and doors open at 6.45pm.
For more information, to see the items up for auction and to book tickets visit the92in92.co.uk or email email@example.com