Norwich family of wrestling stars open new city centre base
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A Norwich family of wrestling stars are celebrating the opening of their new base in the city centre.
The Knight family - who run the World Association of Wrestling and female division Bellatrix, and whose story is the subject of a new feature film being made by The Rock - have just moved into a property in Rose Lane which they have named WAW House.
The front of WAW House is a new shop dedicated to wrestling, and a special 'open house' event was held to mark its opening on Saturday where fans could meet the Knight family dynasty as well as Mexican wrestling legend Juventud Guerrera.
Ricky Knight and his son Zak Knight are the co-owners of WAW House and its opening was a proud day for all of the family. Eight members of the Knight family currently wrestle professionally - Ricky and his wife Saraya, their children Nikki, Roy, Zak and Paige, and grandchildren RKJ and PJ.
Ricky said: 'This is a 30-year ambition come to light. It is an amazing day to get this far. I always wanted to leave a legacy in wrestling, and I think we are doing that as a family.'
You may also want to watch:
Zak, one half of the UK Hooligans team with his brother Roy who together are World Tag Team Champions, said: 'My dad and I always say we want this to be a one-stop shop for wrestling, so everything that is needed to be a professional wrestler, and also for the general public we have got the shop and the salon and other facilities. We are not trying to to cater just for wrestlers, we are trying to cater for the whole community.'
Juventud Guerrera, a star of World Championship Wrestling, World Wrestling Entertainment and Extreme Championship Wrestling in the cruiserweight class, said: 'I think WAW House is a really good facility they have got here. It has a lot of potential to be something big. For wrestlers and for fans to have a facility like this is really, really good. I am really excited for them.'
- 1 Norfolk fuel update: Football match called off as crisis reaches day five
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 4 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 5 Week's worth of fuel gone in hours at village filling station
- 6 Nine ways to make your fuel last and avoid joining petrol station queues
- 7 Why are there queues for petrol - and do you really need to fill up?
- 8 NASA rocket spotted over Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk Broads' village in £150,000 bid to buy land at auction
- 10 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
Within the shop people can buy wrestling merchandise and equipment and there is also a box office for WAW events. WAW House's other facilities also include a sweat room, weight room, beauty salon and wrestling ring. There will also be an area where wrestling events are screened.
• WAW and Bellatrix are presenting September to Remember featuring former WWE superstar Jack Swagger at Epic Studios on September 15 and 16 - visit www.wawuk.com