Norwich family are the faces of child’s health charity Christmas appeal
- Credit: Archant
A Norwich teenager and her family are the faces of the Christmas appeal for the national children’s health charity WellChild.
Maisie Lossau, 15, and her mum Dawn and husband Darrell will be the face of the WellChild Christmas appeal, they will appear in a letter which will be posted out across the UK as well as on their website and social media.
The family is getting the message across this Christmas about the value of WellChild’s work, especially in these tough times during the COVID epidemic.
WellChild is the national charity for seriously ill children and their families. It uses a nationwide network of children’s nurses, home and garden projects and family support services to provide the children and young people the best possible chance to thrive: safe at home, together with their families.
Maisie was ten years old when she was diagnosed with a tumour in her brain stem. After her operation, she spent more than nine months in hospital. She was left unable to move, unable to eat and now breathes through a ventilator.
You may also want to watch:
The WellChild’s Family Tree support network offers parents of children with serious and complex health issues like Dawn, support and advice to one another.
Dawn and the family’s lives “changed overnight” with Maisie’s illness and now they are full time carers in the home for her.
- 1 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 2 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 3 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 4 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 5 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 6 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 7 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 8 IN PICTURES: The businesses still going strong in lockdown
- 9 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
Dawn said that with the Covid-19 pandemic, things have been particularly tough for Maisie, but she has coped well.
Dawn added “It’s been hard enough for all children during this but for her, being confined to our house has been really hard. But in her usual way, she has faced it and got on with it.”
“The WellChild Family Tree network is incredibly useful as there’s always someone with a similar situation to you on there who can help you” she said.
“Everyday friends don’t really get it – as much as they want to help you. People on the Family Tree do get it, and that’s a really good thing.”
You can read the full letter from Dawn and the family and find information about WellChild on the website here: https://www.wellchild.org.uk/christmas/