Norwich drummer playing with Black Sabbath and Guns and Roses
Norwich drummer Matt Goom will be fulfilling a childhood dream when his band plays this year's Download Festival alongside rock legends Slash, Metallica, Black Sabbath and Soundgarden.
And later this month his band The Quireboys will be opening for Guns N' Roses in Switzerland.
The Download Festival, the UK's biggest rock festival, at Castle Donington in Leicestershire started yesterday and runs until tomorrow and used to be called the Monsters of Rock Festival. It was the first festival the Quireboys' drummer went to as a child, and will be the biggest in the UK this year with a 92,000 capacity sold-out crowd.
Mr Goom, who lives in the centre of Norwich and ran the Norwich Drum Academy just off Ber Street for about four years, said: 'This is going to be an amazing weekend. It's a thrill and a privilege to be part of Download's 10th anniversary celebrations. It's just incredible that it was the festival I went to as a kid and now, all these years later, I finally get to play it. All I can say is – never give up on your dreams, kids.'
Following The Quireboys' appearance at Download, the band has been invited to open for Guns N' Roses in Basel, Switzerland, on Wednesday, June 27. Mr Goom, who has been with The Quireboys for 18 months, added: 'I could not believe it when I read the email. In fact, I thought the message was spam, but Axl Rose requested The Quireboys to play. Our singer Spike has a friendship with Axl from back in the early 1990s from when the bands toured together.
This is without doubt going to be a career highlight and June is turning out to be a very exciting month for me.'
The drummer also manages Norwich rock band The Burning Crows who are heading out on their own UK tour in September. Five years ago he joined former Deep Purple bassist Glenn Hughes on tour, after being recommended by Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith.
- 1 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 5 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 6 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 9 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 10 Significant damage to church after metal stolen from roof
Do you know someone local who is playing on the world stage? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org