Norwich City’s Steven Naismith and Russell Martin go head-to-head in hilariously bad dad joke face-off
- Credit: Youtube/Vauxhall
If there is one common trait possessed by dads across the world, it's their ability to tell a bad joke.
And to prove that point on Father's Day, Norwich City stars Steven Naismith and Russell Martin went head-to-head with their best gags.
The duo, who are both fathers themselves, took part in a dad joke face-off organised by Vauxhall, which sponsors the home nations football teams.
Canaries midfielder Mr Naismith, 30, came out on top with a series of expertly delivered - and painfully bad - one liners.
For his first, he said: 'Why didn't the footballer approach the woman at the bar?
You may also want to watch:
'She was out of his league.'
Looking straight into Mr Martin's eyes, his dead-pan delivery proved too much for the City captain, who burst into laughter.
- 1 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 2 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 5 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 6 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
- 7 Patients speak out as surgeon who botched surgeries still working
- 8 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 9 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 10 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
However, the right-back responded with his own football-themed joke.
'Why did the football player have an accidental hand ball?,' Mr Martin said.
'Because he was 'Arm-strong'.'
It was Mr Naismith's second dad joke that resulted in his teammate conceding defeat.
'How does the skipper like to travel?,' he asked. '...On the premier-ship.'
Speaking afterwards, he added: 'The jokes Russell told were so bad, I'm ashamed I ended up laughing at some of them.
'Only dads get away with telling dreadful jokes.'
The pair were not the only two football stars taking part in the event.
Liverpool's Jordan Henderson squared up to Adam Lallana to break out some equally bad gags.
Midfielder Mr Lallana asked: 'Do you know how I stay so cool during games?
'I stand next to the fans.'
Liverpool captain Mr Henderson came back with a clever play on his teammate's name.
He said: 'What do you call a midfielder with a long face?
It was Mr Lallana's final joke that caused the biggest laugh. He asked: 'Why was the pitch soaking wet?
'Because the players drilled all over it.'
Andrew Curley, from Vauxhall Motors, said: 'Father's Day is the perfect excuse to show how much we appreciate our dad's humour, despite how terrible it might be.
'Why not try having your own dad joke face off this Sunday?'
The best dad jokes
We all love to hate dad jokes. Here are 12 of the best.
• Want to hear a joke about paper? Nevermind it's tearable.
• What do you call a man in a hole? Doug.
• What do you call a man in a hole without a spade? Dougless.
• I just watched a program about beavers. It was the best dam program I've ever seen.
• Want to hear a joke about construction? I'm still working on it.
• I used to have a job at a calendar factory but I got the sack because I took a couple of days off.
• Two guys walk into a bar, the third one ducks.
• What is Beethoven's favorite fruit? A ba-na-na-na.
• 5/4 of people admit that they're bad with fractions.
• I used to work in a shoe recycling shop. It was sole destroying.
• I don't play football because I enjoy the sport. I'm just doing it for kicks.
• Did you hear about the kidnapping at school? It's fine, he woke up.