Norwich City legend Darren Huckerby comes to the rescue of West Ham fan stranded in snow
- Credit: Ian Burt
Norwich City legend Darren Huckerby lived up to his title after coming to the rescue of a stranded West Ham fan.
Ricky Cleverley had been on his way to clean windows at Keswick Hall in Norwich when his van became stuck in the snow.
Unable to move his vehicle, the 39-year-old, who lives in Norwich's Golden Triangle, was forced to get out and find help on foot.
Thankfully, former Canaries forward Huckerby had been driving past and stopped to offer his assistance.
'I think I found the only bit of snow on the road and managed to get stuck,' Mr Cleverley said.
You may also want to watch:
'I stopped a couple of delivery vans but they couldn't help, and then Darren drove past.
'He saw me and said 'do you need any help'? I recognised him straight away and said 'alright Darren, I'm stuck in the snow'.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: Norwich City Council LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 4 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 7 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 8 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 9 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
- 10 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
Mr Cleverley, who is a father-of-two, said the ex-City star, who was driving a Range Rover went off to find a rope to help tow him out.
'The fact that I'm a West Ham fan made me think he had every right to not come back. But he did,' Mr Cleverley added.
'He was in joggers and a T-shirt and was not dressed for it, but he got stuck in.
'He's a top bloke and helped me get on my way.
'I told him I felt really guilty for the times I cheered when [West Ham defender] Tomas Repka used to take him out.'
Huckerby played for Norwich City from 2003 to 2008, before moving to the United States to play for the San Jose Earthquakes.
Earlier in his career the 41-year-old had spells at Manchester City, Newcastle United and Leeds United.
Tweeting about his encounter with Mr Cleverley, he said: 'Just rescued a West Ham fan out of a Snow ditch, after he said 'I'm gutted I wanted Repka to kick the **** out of you now!''.