Norwich City goalkeeper John Ruddy switches on Christmas lights at Castle Mall
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
Norwich City goalkeeper John Ruddy pushed the plunger to bathe Castle Mall in a festive glow.
Hundreds of people gathered at the shopping centre's White Lion Square, near to Boots, for the Christmas lights switch-on event today.
A pair of elves entertained the crowds before a countdown from 10, and there was a full afternoon of fun.
Amanda Phillips, centre manager of Castle Mall, said: 'We were really excited to have a Norwich City player visit to kick off Christmas at Castle Mall.
'It was a fun afternoon with lots of great entertainment for shoppers.'
Leading up to the big switch-on, shoppers were joined by an unusual collection of characters.
These included fairies on stilts with light-up wands, Buzz Lightyear, Spiderman and the Incredible Hulk.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 2 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 3 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 4 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 5 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 6 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 7 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
Prize giveaways on stage included one to a child who could make the loudest noise, and another to the parent in the crowd who had the most children.
The winner, who had six children, was awarded a free makeover.
The elves, who were the comperes, asked John Ruddy about his Christmas Day routine.
He said he would be preparing for the Boxing Day match against Tottenham.
As the lights were switched on there was a flutter of white confetti.
The store's Christmas tree is by the spiral steps near to Boots.