Norwich City fan who backed wrong Murphy twin wins money after bookies get confused between the pair
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
A Norwich City fan who accidently bet on Josh Murphy to score against Burton Albion still won his bet after the bookmaker got confused between the two brothers.
Ashley Howell, 32, of Ashill, was meant to put a £10 on Jacob Murphy to score against Burton Albion on Saturday but accidently bet on the wrong twin.
But after Jacob scored in the 47th minute Mr Howell was surprised to see that Paddy Power had paid out on his stake backing Josh to score.
'It was the first time I had bet on the Murphy twins and I was actually meant to bet on Jacob as when I saw the team sheet and that he was starting I thought he was worth a bet,' he said. 'And after I put it on I suddenly realised I had done it on the wrong brother and Josh wasn't even starting.
'And obviously Jacob scored in the match but when I checked my account the bet had paid out.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Howell has since contacted Paddy Power to explain what had happened and as a gesture of goodwill for his honesty they have told him he can keep his £45 winnings.
Jacob's goal in the 3-1 victory was his fifth of the season in all competitions. He scored his sixth on Wednesday night during Norwich's dramatic 4-3 defeat at Newcastle United.
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 3 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 4 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 8 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 9 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 10 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation