Norwich City captain Russell Martin backs EACH Ride for Life
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's club captain is encouraging people to show their support for a cycling event to raise money for a life-changing children's charity.
Canaries' right back Russell Martin, is urging cyclists and walkers sign-up to East Anglia's Children's Hospices (EACH) Ride For Life cycling event at Thetford forest this year.
The event takes place on Sunday May 11 at Santon Downham in the heart of Thetford Forest and celebrates its 21st anniversary this year.
Organisers hope it will appeal to more cyclists than ever before, thanks to the addition of a new off-road five mile route geared towards young families and novice cyclists.
Russell said: 'I've seen first hand the great work EACH does for local life-threatened children, young people and their families and I want to encourage people to support the EACH Ride for Life event this year, by either taking part or sponsoring someone who is.
You may also want to watch:
'As club captain of Norwich City, I think it's important to support and raise the profile of local charities such as EACH who do great work in our local community.
'I know many NCFC fans already support EACH, and I hope to encourage even more to get involved.'
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 3 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 4 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 6 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 7 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 GP warns surgery 'is at breaking point' due to village expansion
Laura Shearing, EACH Norfolk Fundraiser, said: 'We're absolutely delighted Russell has decided to get involved with EACH, helping us in a number of ways including visiting the hospice to meet the children and supporting our fundraising and awareness efforts. We very much look forward to working with him on a number of exciting and interesting projects in the future.'
Participants who register for Ride for Life before March 31 will be entered into a draw to win an 'on the day' goody bag which will include a Ride for Life t-shirt and vouchers for refreshments on the day.
Bikes, donated by Green Ventures Bikes in Thetford, will also be up for grabs for the adult and child participants who raise and send in the most sponsorship by July 31.
The following routes are on offer this year: off-road cycle: 5m, 10m and 25m, on-road cycle: 19m and 35m and walks: 3m and 10m. The closing date for postal and online entries is Monday, April 28.
To enter visit www.each.org.uk/events/ride_for_life or contact the Norfolk Fundraising team on 01953 666767 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you taking part in the ride? Email email@example.com