Norwich cheerleaders shine at British Cheerleading Association International Championships in Shropshire
A Norwich cheerleading squad is celebrating success after competing in their first national competition last week.
Two teams from the East Coast Emeralds squad achieved 2nd and 4th places in the British Cheerleading Association International Championships held in Telford, Shropshire at the weekend.
The squad is based at Sprowston High School in Norwich, although members come from schools across the city and are aged between 7 and 27.
Their coach Jennifer Copeland spoke of her pride at their achievement,
saying: 'It was brilliant, the highlight of the year for the club. Their achievement is very well deserved.
'The team who won 4th place had a tough run-up to the competition so we're over the moon. We had high hopes for the girls but what we really wanted was for them to see top level teams and get some experience.
'In order to get ready for a competition the girls have to be incredibly disciplined. They work extremely hard in the time they have together as a team.'
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 3 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 4 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 5 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 6 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 7 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 8 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 9 Man threatened to petrol bomb ex-partner's home
- 10 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
The girls had been training intensively for 12 weeks for the competition, which required them to perform 2� minute routines including jumping, gymnastics and dance.
Ms Copeland and he fellow coach, Becky Copeland, are looking forward to holding tryouts for new members this September, and are planning 3 competitions for the squad next year.