Norwich builders’ merchants go bald in £6,000 hair-raising fundraiser
- Credit: Archant
A construction company is now a hair-free zone after 18 staff members braved head shaves, leg waxes and chest waxes - and even a beard wax.
The fundraising for Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH) Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) all began when Nigel Medler came into work at Longwater Construction Supplies with a new haircut.
Mr Medler said: 'They were all jealous basically because they couldn't grow their hair as long as mine. They said they wanted me to shave it off and I said I would if they raised £1,000 for charity. Within about an hour they had raised £800.'
From there the plot escalated, with 18 staff participating in a mass head shaving and waxing. Most notably, Stephen Knights had his beard waxed - or at least two strips of it.
Mr Medler believes Mr Knights 'bottled it' - but Mr Knights said: 'Jo (the waxer) didn't want to do it anymore.
You may also want to watch:
'It was her call, but I'm glad she made it. I'm not putting a razor anywhere near it. I can't even touch it at the minute because it's so sore.
'The patch by my ear is so painful. I'm just going to look like this for 48 hours until its calmed down.'
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 9 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
The fundraising efforts are expected to exceed £6,000 in total.
Mr Medler said that while the staff may be bald and bruised, it was all worth it for the cause.
'It was a very good day,' he said. 'Lots of customers came down to see us and gave us support and, more importantly, cash for the baby unit. There's lots of people here who have used the unit, or will use the unit, and we think this is an excellent local cause.'
Laura Canning, of Shorn by Sean, Dereham, gave up her time to shave the heads while Jo Pitcher was tasked with waxing.
The complete list of participants is as follows:
? Head shaves - Steve Duncan, Robert Loone, Terry Perry, Steve Warner, Darren Isard, Chris Spenceley, Robert Woodcock, Leon Healy, Nigel Medler, Brogan Crosby, Blake Medler, Kevin Lincoln, Lewis White.
? Leg waxes - John Holl, Dave Penfold, Andy Bird, Matt Farrow.
? Chest wax - Colin Clark.
? Beard wax - Steven Knights.
To donate, visit https://www.justgiving.com/niculongwater