Norwich builders’ merchants go bald in £6,000 hair-raising fundraiser
- Credit: Archant
A construction company is now a hair-free zone after 18 staff members braved head shaves, leg waxes and chest waxes - and even a beard wax.
The fundraising for Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH) Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) all began when Nigel Medler came into work at Longwater Construction Supplies with a new haircut.
Mr Medler said: 'They were all jealous basically because they couldn't grow their hair as long as mine. They said they wanted me to shave it off and I said I would if they raised £1,000 for charity. Within about an hour they had raised £800.'
From there the plot escalated, with 18 staff participating in a mass head shaving and waxing. Most notably, Stephen Knights had his beard waxed - or at least two strips of it.
Mr Medler believes Mr Knights 'bottled it' - but Mr Knights said: 'Jo (the waxer) didn't want to do it anymore.
'It was her call, but I'm glad she made it. I'm not putting a razor anywhere near it. I can't even touch it at the minute because it's so sore.
'The patch by my ear is so painful. I'm just going to look like this for 48 hours until its calmed down.'
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 3 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 4 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 5 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 6 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 7 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 9 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 10 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
The fundraising efforts are expected to exceed £6,000 in total.
Mr Medler said that while the staff may be bald and bruised, it was all worth it for the cause.
'It was a very good day,' he said. 'Lots of customers came down to see us and gave us support and, more importantly, cash for the baby unit. There's lots of people here who have used the unit, or will use the unit, and we think this is an excellent local cause.'
Laura Canning, of Shorn by Sean, Dereham, gave up her time to shave the heads while Jo Pitcher was tasked with waxing.
The complete list of participants is as follows:
? Head shaves - Steve Duncan, Robert Loone, Terry Perry, Steve Warner, Darren Isard, Chris Spenceley, Robert Woodcock, Leon Healy, Nigel Medler, Brogan Crosby, Blake Medler, Kevin Lincoln, Lewis White.
? Leg waxes - John Holl, Dave Penfold, Andy Bird, Matt Farrow.
? Chest wax - Colin Clark.
? Beard wax - Steven Knights.
To donate, visit https://www.justgiving.com/niculongwater