Norwich-born star’s song most played tune of decade
A song written by Norwich-born pop singer Cathy Dennis has been named the most-played tune of the last decade.
The song Can't Get You Out Of My Head by Kylie Minogue - a UK number one in 2001 - received the most airplay and live covers in the Noughties, according to PRS for Music, which collects royalties on behalf of songwriters and composers.
Another Cathy Dennis penned song, Britney Spears' 2004 single Toxic placed second, ahead of Robbie Williams' Angels in third. Jamelia's Superstar was fourth, ahead of Liberty X's Just A Little in fifth.
In total, the top five songs were played more than 875m times during the Noughties.
Can't Get You Out Of My Head was turned down by S Club 7 and Sophie Ellis-Bextor before Kylie used it.
You may also want to watch:
All of the songs in the top three won an Ivor Novello Award for Most Popular Song for the year when they were released.
Guy Fletcher, the chairman of PRS for Music, said: 'The writing talent behind this top five includes legends such as Cathy Dennis and Guy Chambers, and underpins the importance of good songwriting in producing a hit.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 7 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 8 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 9 Gay and trans people targeted in hate incident at school
- 10 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
Cathy Dennis, who is the most successful British female songwriter of all time, also penned I Kissed a Girl, which made Katy Perry an international star in 2008. The former Norwich Union worker, who has seven UK number ones and five Ivor Novello awards to her name, has also written hits for Celine Dion, Hear'Say, S Club 7, and Rachel Stevens,