Norwich barbecue smokehouse loses out after meat smoker hosed down by fire crews
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press Â© 2011
A city smokehouse lost three days worth of meat after its smoker was hosed down by fire fighters.
Emergency services were called to Newmarket Road in Norwich at around 7.45am on Wednesday after a member of the public spotted smoke coming from a garden.
Despite the source being a meat smoker, fire crews from Earlham, Carrow and Sprowston proceeded to hose it down.
Andy Cooper, co-owner of the Harbecue Smoke House, said: 'It had actually overheated, but I don't think people knew it was a smoker.
'It was in our pit master's garden and I think he was a bit surprised by it all. Unfortunately all of the meat that was in there was ruined.'
Mr Cooper said the restaurant's pit master, Rob Harber, had been up since 6am preparing the food.
It is usually then left in a smoker for 12 to 17 hours before it is ready to be served.
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 3 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 4 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 5 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 6 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 7 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 8 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 9 Tractor being used for A11 roadworks had faulty brakes
- 10 Norfolk glamping site with natural pool named among UK's best newcomers
Mr Cooper added: 'It is a bit of an inconvenience, but luckily we had some meat already smoked and we will be able to stay open.'
The fire service said it used hose reel jets to extinguish the flames.