Norwich band to perform at remembrance ceremony in Belgium
- Credit: Archant
A Norwich band is in final preparations for its Last Post Remembrance Ceremony at the Menin Gate in Leper, Belgium.
On September 2, the City of Norwich Pipe Band will be beating the retreat in front of the Cloth Hall in the town.
Wymondham Ex-services Club will also be laying a wreath at the gate.
The ceremony has been held at the Menin Gate every evening since 1929.
The gate commemorates the names of over 54,000 officers and men who died at the Ypres Salient before August 1917.
You may also want to watch:
Senior piper Ian Robertson will be laying a cross and poppy in remembrance.
This year is particularly significant as it is the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Passchendaele.
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 6 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 9 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
- 10 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
The City of Norwich Pipe Band was formed by two pipers and a drummer in 1978. Now, the thriving band has played at the Great British Proms at Blickling Hall.