Norwich animal sanctuary is hit by six thefts in six months
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
Little Tinkers Sanctuary is a haven for old and sick donkeys and horses.
But in the last six months, it has experienced six thefts – with the culprits even stripping ponies of their rugs.
On Friday, the sanctuary in Bluebell Road, Norwich, was targeted again and this time thieves have caused thousands of pounds' worth of damage,
Julie Bassett, 49, set up Little Tinkers Sanctuary 15 years ago, as a home for animals that would otherwise have been put down.
She said: 'They have smashed up the food room and sheds and got the medicine cabinet off the wall. They have taken all of our equipment and just smashed everything. We look after poorly ponies that need the medicine.'
Police are investigating the thefts and a crime scene investigation team was at the sanctuary yesterday.
She added: 'On December 30 they took the rug off a sweet little pony's back, Annie is 33 years old and has arthritis, I don't know what goes on in people's minds. If anyone desperately needed a rug I would give them one.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 3 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 4 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 5 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 6 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 7 Tractor being used for A11 roadworks had faulty brakes
- 8 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 9 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 10 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
'It began in one of our back fields, so I put a note up on the gate saying that we knew what was happening.
'I don't know, maybe someone took offence to it.'
Local residents have been donating items to help and a donation page raised £795 in 19 hours.
To donate, visit www.gofundme.com/hdcba3jw
Do you have a news story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org