Northbound traffic diverted as gas mains work starts in Oulton Broad
- Credit: Archant
Work has started today on a major project to replace ageing gas mains in Oulton Broad.
The scheme is expected to continue until Easter, with four diversion routes in place.
The works will see the gas mains replaced between the Shell service station in Normanston Drive, passing by Oulton Broad North railway station, to Oulton Broad library in Bridge Road.
To enable the work to be carried out safely and efficiently, Bridge Road will become a temporary one way system. Northbound traffic - heading into Lowestoft - will be diverted via diversion routes, shown on the map.
To alleviate traffic congestion, two northbound lanes are to be kept open on the Bascule Bridge in Lowestoft between 6am and 8pm.
You may also want to watch:
National Grid have said the existing metal gas mains are nearing the end of their operational life and must be replaced to ensure people have access to safe and reliable gas supplies.
Some parking bays in the area will be temporarily suspended and gas pipes in Holly Road, Harbour Road, Commodore Road and Mizpah Cottages will also need to be replaced.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 7 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 8 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 9 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 10 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
Residents are reminded they should ask to see official identification from any engineers seeking access to their properties. To verify their identity call 0800 096 5678.
•How are the roadworks affecting you? Email email@example.com