North Walsham couple join community transport service which helped them
- Credit: Archant
A husband and wife have been so inspired by a community transport service which came to their aid that they now work as volunteers for it.
Liz Brown, 65, and her husband Mike, 65, from North Walsham called on the MediRide service last year to help Mrs Brown get to hospital when she was receiving treatment for cancer.
The service, which is run by North Norfolk Community Transport (NNCT), helps people who have no access to other forms of transport, including the elderly, those with impaired mobility and the rurally isolated, to attend medical appointments at GPs, dentists, opticians and hospitals.
Members can ring the service with the date of their medical appointment and a volunteer driver takes them to and from their appointment.
Mrs Brown needed to have treatment five days a week over the course of six and a half weeks.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'When I was having treatment it just seems that is all your life is, having treatment.
'What I found made such a difference was talking to the drivers; it gave me tremendous support.'
- 1 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 2 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 3 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 4 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 5 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 6 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 7 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 8 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 9 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
Now her husband is a volunteer driver with the service and Mrs Brown helps out with paperwork at the offices.
Matt Townsend, chief executive of NNCT, said: 'The demand for the service is increasing all the time, which just shows how important it has become to people across the north Norfolk area.
The service really is a lifeline to so many people.'
Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer driver should contact NNCT on 01263 839009 or 01692 500840.
Do you know of a vital community service which is going from strength to strength? Email firstname.lastname@example.org