North Pickenham parents’ fundraising goal after daughter’s diabetes diagnosis
- Credit: Submitted
When their daughter was diagnosed with diabetes after nearly dying, a couple decided they would fight to raise awareness and funding for the disease.
Kara Elwood, two, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in January.
Now her parents Chris, 34, and Corinne Elwood, 35, are aiming to raise £25,000 for Diabetes UK along with their friends and family.
The North Pickenham couple will be taking on the London Bridges Challenge in October which will see them walk across 13 iconic bridges over the River Thames.
Mr Elwood said: 'Our little girl was only 19 months old when she was diagnosed and if the paramedics had not picked up on her symptoms we would have lost her on that night.
You may also want to watch:
'I want to help raise awareness that the symptoms are not always obvious, and help raise funds so that in the future, hopefully near future, there will be a cure so that children like my baby girl and also adults will not have to deal with this condition.'
Mr Elwood is also organising coach trips to Disneyland Paris this year, with profits going to Diabetes UK.
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 6 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 7 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 10 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
He added: 'I don't think people understand the impact a diabetes diagnosis can have on a family. I didn't until my family was directly affected. It is very important that people recognise the symptoms so that they can act quickly.'
To sponsor the Elwoods go to www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Chris-Elwood