North Norfolk village hall awarded energy fund cash
- Credit: Archant
The trustees of Thornham village hall can now add to their eco-credentials after being awarded £12,500 in a national energy fund competition.
They entered the competition to secure funding for the installation of solar panels to reduce their carbon footprint and become energy self-sufficient, and called on people to vote for them online.
The Marks and Spencer competition, now in its second year, received 78,837 votes, with Thornham one of only 26 projects nationwide to be awarded a grant.
The village hall, which was officially opened by the Queen in 2014, already has eco-friendly credentials, and boasts ground-source heating and grey-water recycling.
Paul Murrell, the hall's communications and events manager, said: 'Thornham village hall has to be one of the best event venues in the county.
You may also want to watch:
'It boasts amazing facilities with state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment.
'The hall regularly shows live satellite productions of ballet and opera and incorporates the village cinema, together with live theatre on the adjoining playing field in the summer.'
- 1 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 2 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 3 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 4 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 5 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 6 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 7 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 8 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 9 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
- 10 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
The venue hosts regular weekly events, with winter warmers, featuring guest speakers and soup and sandwich lunches, always in high demand at this time of year.
New for 2017 there will be a plant, rural craft and family day featuring the best of Norfolk nurseries and crafts with family entertainment.
'We also plan to introduce a food and drink event encapsulating the very best in speciality foods and drinks produced in Norfolk,' Mr Murrell added.
The hall has nine trustees who work alongside a team of volunteers to maintain the building and run events.
Are you applying for funding? Email email@example.com