North Norfolk to feature in new murder mystery novel
- Credit: Archant
An author who spent 12 years of her life in north Norfolk is set to publish her first murder mystery novel, which is based in the area.
Caroline Gilfillan, who used to live in Fakenham and taught creative writing at the UEA, will launch the book on October 8 at Wells Library.
The novel titled 'The Terrace' is based in a fictional town but part of it is also set in Wells.
She said: 'I really started writing it for fun but I've always wanted to write this sort of book. I started writing it when I still lived in Norfolk and it is the first novel I've published.
'I've always written poems and short stories but these 'whodunnit' books have always been a big interest of mine so I had to write one.'
The novel sees disgraced journalist Rags Whistledown return to north Norfolk and she quickly becomes swept up in a murder mystery that needs to be solved.
The fictional place the book is set in is based heavily on a north Norfolk town, however the author wouldn't say which town that was.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 3 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 4 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 5 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 6 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 7 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 8 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 9 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 10 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
She added: 'The disgraced journalist has fallen on hard times but she gets drawn into solving this mystery when she returns.
'It will be published on October 1 and you can buy it both as an actual book and also on a Kindle.'
Although her first novel is yet to be released, work has already started on the next novel based also around the life of Rags Whistledown.
'This is the first of a series of books' she added.
'I'm already working on the second one which is called 'The Theatre'. It will be based in Norfolk again and it will be about a small theatre.'
Caroline Gilfillan has also had four collections of poetry published and has won several national short story competitions.
The launch of 'The Terrace' at Wells Library on Monday October 8 will feature the author reading a passage of the book and she will also discuss the publishing process.
The event starts at 2pm and is free to attend with cake also included.