North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb and boxing legend Frank Bruno team up to help young people with mental health problems
- Credit: PA
It is a cause close to both their hearts, and now a former Government minister and a boxing legend are teaming up to support young people with mental health problems.
North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb is backing a move by ex-world champion Frank Bruno to set up a charitable foundation to help some of the most vulnerable members of the community.
Mr Lamb has contacted Minister for Civil Society Rob Wilson to promote the initiative following a meeting with Mr Bruno in North Walsham last week.
He is hoping it may be possible for 15-17 year olds involved in National Citizen Service to support the work of the proposed foundation.
'I know Frank quite well through our previous joint action on mental health,' said Mr Lamb.
You may also want to watch:
'We have worked together on a number of things and I have a high regard for him. He has been very open speaking about his mental health challenges.
'I hope to arrange a meeting with Rob Wilson to see if the proposed foundation can work with the National Citizen Service.'
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 5 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 9 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 10 Do you recognise this man?
He added: 'It was great to see Frank and some of my constituents got a shock when they saw him coming out the office.'
The two had previously worked together to improve conditions for patients with psychological problems when Mr Lamb served as as health minister in the coalition government.
One of Britain's best loved sports stars, Mr Bruno has been an ambassador for mental health since being diagnosed with bi-polar disorder.
Mr Lamb has previously spoken of his son Archie's struggles with obsessive compulsive disorder and offered support to the EDP's Mental Health Watch campaign.