North Norfolk doing it for the girls with two women being made MBEs
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
North Norfolk has been doing it for the girls with two women being made Members of the British Empire in the Queen's birthday honour's list.
North Norfolk District Councillor Hilary Cox and the matron of the Royal British Legion's Halsey House, Sally Mills, have both been made MBEs.
Mrs Cox has been awarded the honour for services to local government and the community of Norfolk. The former county councillor said: 'I got the paperwork through about four weeks, I just walked around my house in shock.
'It's such an honour, such a privilege, to be given this when I was just doing what I do.'
Mrs Cox, who grew up in Mundesley, continued: 'I grew up in a hotel, and we were always working. We had friends over but not to play, they could help lay the tables or with the flower arrangements. I've had ups and downs, at one point we had no carpet on the living room floor and had to hide from the milkman, but I've always had a job and I hope that I've worked for this.'
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Cox, 67, continued: 'My husband William was made an MBE in 2002, also for services to the community as he was a long serving fireman and lifeboatman. I think it's rare for both people in a couple to be awarded it. It has been very difficult to keep it from my children though.'
The mother-of-two is the NNDC's Environment portfolio holder, she added: 'When we were growing up, we always were taught what to do with our rubbish, and it makes me upset to see how disrespectful people can be to our planet. Perhaps it's our fault for not teaching them properly and passing on those ideas, but when I see dumping grounds being cleared I think surely we can start there and work our way backwards.'
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 3 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 5 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 8 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 9 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 10 What happened when The Only Way Is Essex was filmed in Norfolk?
The Cromer resident continued: 'I'll be taking my husband with me to Buckingham Palace, when we're given a date of when we go. I'm going to tell my children tonight when the list goes out, and just email them saying I'm not Mrs Hilary Cox, MBE.'