North Norfolk District Council urges flood victims to apply for support scheme
- Credit: PA
North Norfolk District Council is urging households and businesses affected by last year's tidal surge to apply for assistance from the Flood Support Scheme before it is too late.
The central government schemes, administered locally by NNDC, have been operating from April 1 and are intended to assist individuals that suffered flooding to their property in December to increase their capability to withstand any future flooding.
Businesses adversely affected by the storm can also apply for funds to reimburse business losses and help with business recovery.
NNDC leader, Tom FitzPatrick, said: 'It now seems a long time since the December storms and thankfully many businesses and households are well on the road to recovery. However, many of those affected are still in need of support and we are doing all that we can to assist. The advice sessions have been very well received and everyone has been very grateful for the help that the district council is providing.
'We are keen to make the application process as simple and straightforward as possible and our aim is to receive an application from every single household and business directly affected by last December's flooding who still needs support. Those who experienced flooding suffered significantly and they all deserve the extra help that this package provides, to increase their resilience against flooding in the future.
You may also want to watch:
'We also hope that with households and businesses taking advantage of the grants it will bring benefits for the many high quality local traders and tradespeople, builders, plumbers, electricians etcetera, that we have in north Norfolk.'
Twenty-four completed applications have been received so far.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 4 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 5 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 6 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 10 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
NNDC is hoping that people whose properties were flooded and who might not initially have considered completing an application will now do so before the May 31 deadline.
Four applications have already been approved, with a combined value of more than £15,000 being awarded so far.
• Details of the schemes, guidance as to who can apply and application forms are available on the NNDC website www.northnorfolk.org.