Freebridge buys Discovery Centre in North Lynn
- Credit: Ian Burt
A social landlord hopes to regenerate the Discovery Centre in King's Lynn after agreeing a sale with the board of trustees.
The Discovery Centre on Columbia Way has provided a range of services for children and young people and has helped thousands of families in a variety of ways since it first opened its doors in 2002.
Now the centre has been bought by Freebridge Community Housing, which hopes to relaunch activities at the site.
As part of the preliminary work ahead of refurbishing the site, Freebridge will be holding two drop-in consultation events to give the local community a chance to have a say on how the site is developed.
Robert Clarke, its director of housing, said: 'We are really very pleased to have taken over ownership of the Discovery Centre, our focus is now on engaging with the local community to understand what
people need and want from the centre, whilst carrying out some much-needed improvement works.
'We were keen to buy the centre given its location in an area where many of our homes are located, and over the years has provided an accessible base for many much-needed services, in particular
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 3 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 4 Mobile home fire spreads to nearby properties
- 5 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 6 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 7 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 8 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 9 Norfolk's 100 Jubilee street parties revealed
- 10 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
for the young people of West Norfolk.'
The purchase has come with the full support of the centre's former trustees, the West Norfolk council and a number of other partners.
Trustee and councillor Graham Middleton said: 'This sale is great news for the Discovery Centre and for the local community.
'Freebridge has an excellent understanding of the role the centre has played in the past and wants to ensure the centre continues to play a vital role in the community in future.
'I'd like to personally thank everyone that has been involved in getting to this stage and I hope that many local people will participate in the consultation events so that they can put forward any ideas they have for the site.'
The consultation events are being scheduled to take place in May at the Discovery Centre on Columbia Way in North Lynn. Times and dates of sessions will be confirmed nearer the time.