Norfolk YouTube couple Jim Chapman and Tanya Burr kick off festive season in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
Fireworks and thousands of glittering lights illuminated Norwich as the festive season well and truly got underway.
Crowds braved the chilly weather tonight to watch Norfolk YouTube power couple Jim Chapman and Tanya Burr switch on the lights - with some waiting on the steps of City Hall from 4.30pm.
Cheers erupted as the couple - who vlogged the evening - came out, joined by Father Christmas, who had travelled the city in his sleigh with carollers and schoolchildren ahead of the switch-on.
Miss Burr said she was 'very excited' to be back in her hometown and added that the pair would be spending the festive season back in the county with family.
As bulbs around the city sprang into life, fireworks lit up the sky over City Hall and Jarrold, before Christmas carollers serenaded the crowds.
Julie Hirst, 43, brought daughters Gemma, 12, and Alice, nine, along for a glimpse of their favourite YouTubers.
She said: 'They are such big fans and were really excited to hear that Jim and Tanya were going to be turning the lights on.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 3 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 4 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 5 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 6 Tractor being used for A11 roadworks had faulty brakes
- 7 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 8 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 9 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 10 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
'They are always watching their videos at home and Gemma has a lot of Tanya's products.'
Friends Lucy Howlett, 15, Emma Chambers, also 15, and Pippa Smith, 16, all from Norwich, had been waiting in the city since 5pm.
While Jim and Carol Ashton, from Heartsease, may not have heard of the YouTubers, they said the seasonal spirit in the city made sure they were 'ready for Christmas'.
Mrs Ashton said: 'We've had a hot chocolate and listened to the music and feel very Christmassy.
'We weren't really sure who they were but we've since learnt - they are very famous, that's for sure.'
Did you go to the switch-on? Tweet us your pictures @EDP24