Norfolk vineyard sells out of first vintage just five months after opening to public
- Credit: Archant
A vineyard which opened its doors to the public this spring has sold out of its 2016 vintage in just five months.
Earsham-based Flint Vineyard, whose debut vintage won East Anglian Wine of the Year 2017, has been limiting sales to one bottle per household since August to cope with demand.
And owners Ben and Hannah Witchell say they couldn't have wished for a better start to their new venture having welcomed more than 600 visitors on their vineyard and winery tours this summer.
In 2016 they produced 8,000 bottles of wine and will be doubling production this year to include a rosé, a red and a sparkling wine alongside their Bacchus, which is a grape variety gaining huge popularity in the UK.
The couple have been unable to keep up with demand for their wines after winning the regional trophy, with their Bacchus 2016 becoming the best-selling wine at Benedicts restaurant in Norwich this summer.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Witchell said: 'We have been focused on quality the whole way and it feels like that has really paid off.
'It's been wonderful to share what we're doing with visitors over the summer and everyone has been genuinely surprised by the quality of the wine we're producing in East Anglia.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 3 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 4 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 5 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 6 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 7 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 8 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 9 Teen in serious condition after bank holiday crash
- 10 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
'Even after winning the award, selling out in five months was better than we could have hoped for. We're really excited about next year!'
Customers are now reserving allocations of the 2017 vintage by joining Flint Vineyard's wine club. Named after the vineyard's logo, the Venn Club is fast approaching 150 members. Membership comes with a 12-bottle case including wines made exclusively for members in ultra-low volumes, as well as complimentary tours and tasting for members and their friends.
And for those who can't wait until next spring, Flint Vineyard has just released its winter tour dates when visitors will be offered the unique experience of tasting the 2017 vintage straight from the tanks.
Tours will run on alternate Saturdays in November and December and are bookable online at www.flintvineyard.com or by calling the vineyard on 01986 893209.