New Costessey slimmer sheds 49.5lbs to overcome arthritis that left her unable to walk
- Credit: Weight Watchers/Patricia Burns
A housewife from New Costessey is living her 'wildest dreams' after losing a whopping 49.5lbs with Weight Watchers.
An incident during an aerobics class in 1998 caused Patricia Burn to damage her knees, with the pain getting worse as the years passed - resulting in her undergoing four operations.
Walking became extremely uncomfortable and in 2012 the 56-year-old was forced to start using a wheelchair after her legs gave out during a shopping trip. A stair lift also had to be installed in her home.
She said: 'By this time I was unable to walk 100 meters without using a walking stick and someone to hang onto. I also couldn't stand for more than a few seconds without having to sit down.
'I couldn't go into the city by myself, I had to have a knee replaced and developed arthritis in my left foot.'
You may also want to watch:
By 2014, Mrs Burns had undergone a second knee replacement and her arthritis had spread to both legs as well as her left arm and hand.
Due to her condition, her weight began to increase and at her heaviest she reached 18 stone.
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 3 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 4 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 5 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 6 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 7 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 8 End of an era as Debenhams closes in Norwich
- 9 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 10 Farmers hope to unlock 'huge potential' of cannabis crops
However, an interest in weight loss television shows inspired her to take action.
'I thought, if they can do it, so can I,' she said. 'I then had a good look at myself in the mirror, went immediately online and joined Weight Watchers. My first meeting was two days later.
'The first stone I lost brought tears to my eyes and with every pound I lost, walking became easier.'
Since joining Weight Watchers, Mrs Burns has lost a total of 49.5lbs and couldn't be happier.
She added: 'Now I do Zumba, aerobics, swimming and can walk for hours without any help. I don't get out of breath and feel so much healthier inside and out.
'I just did some Zumba publicly in Norwich to raise awareness for cancer and never in my wildest dreams did I think I could be this happy with losing weight. My only regret is not losing weight earlier as I would probably have saved myself unnecessary pain!'