New Costessey slimmer sheds 49.5lbs to overcome arthritis that left her unable to walk
- Credit: Weight Watchers/Patricia Burns
A housewife from New Costessey is living her 'wildest dreams' after losing a whopping 49.5lbs with Weight Watchers.
An incident during an aerobics class in 1998 caused Patricia Burn to damage her knees, with the pain getting worse as the years passed - resulting in her undergoing four operations.
Walking became extremely uncomfortable and in 2012 the 56-year-old was forced to start using a wheelchair after her legs gave out during a shopping trip. A stair lift also had to be installed in her home.
She said: 'By this time I was unable to walk 100 meters without using a walking stick and someone to hang onto. I also couldn't stand for more than a few seconds without having to sit down.
'I couldn't go into the city by myself, I had to have a knee replaced and developed arthritis in my left foot.'
You may also want to watch:
By 2014, Mrs Burns had undergone a second knee replacement and her arthritis had spread to both legs as well as her left arm and hand.
Due to her condition, her weight began to increase and at her heaviest she reached 18 stone.
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Delay warnings ahead of abnormal load move
- 4 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 5 Prime minister promises "February sunset" for coronavirus tiers
- 6 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 7 Norwich water supply hit for second day running
- 8 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 9 Drunk man arrested after driving into water-filled dike
- 10 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
However, an interest in weight loss television shows inspired her to take action.
'I thought, if they can do it, so can I,' she said. 'I then had a good look at myself in the mirror, went immediately online and joined Weight Watchers. My first meeting was two days later.
'The first stone I lost brought tears to my eyes and with every pound I lost, walking became easier.'
Since joining Weight Watchers, Mrs Burns has lost a total of 49.5lbs and couldn't be happier.
She added: 'Now I do Zumba, aerobics, swimming and can walk for hours without any help. I don't get out of breath and feel so much healthier inside and out.
'I just did some Zumba publicly in Norwich to raise awareness for cancer and never in my wildest dreams did I think I could be this happy with losing weight. My only regret is not losing weight earlier as I would probably have saved myself unnecessary pain!'