Norfolk’s Olivia Colman in the running for 13th Doctor as Peter Capaldi announces departure from Doctor Who
- Credit: BBC
Peter Capaldi has announced his shock departure from the long-running sci-fi drama, but who do you think will follow him as the 13th Doctor?
Capaldi revealed his decision to leave Doctor Who on BBC Radio 2 to presenter Jo Whiley on Monday January 30, and confirmed that the upcoming 10th series would be his last.
When he joined the programme back in 2013, aged 55 he was the oldest doctor to appear on the show other than the first ever Doctor, William Hartnell.
UEA alumni and Capaldi's predecessor Matt Smith was the youngest actor to take on the famous role at 27.
Capaldi was born in Glasgow and made his name as Malcolm Tucker in the BBC Comedy The Thick of It which ran from 2005-2012.
The current favourite for the 13th doctor is James Bond star Ben Whishaw at 5/1, closely followed by The IT Crowd's Moss and Gadget Man Richard Ayoade at 6/1.
Norfolk's own Olivia Colman also makes an appearance in the top 10 with odds of 14/1.
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 5 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 6 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
- 7 Road rage incident sees van driver run over by car
- 8 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 9 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 10 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
Top 10 betting odds for the next doctor
1. Ben Whishaw 5/1
2. Richard Ayoade 6/1
3. Rory Kinnear 7/1
4. Miranda Hart 8/1
5. Jason Flemyng 9/1
6. David Harewood 10/1
7. Helena Bonham Carter 10/1
8. Alexander Vlahos 12/1
9. Daniel Rigby 12/1
10. Olivia Colman 14/1