Norfolk’s Eastern Daily Press scoops two more major accolades
The Eastern Daily Press has scooped two major prizes at the EDF Energy East of England Media Awards 2010 – we've been crowned the Daily Newspaper of the Year and edp24.co.uk has been named Website of the Year.
Shortlisted for the top award with Ipswich's Evening Star and our sister paper the Norwich Evening News, the judges said the EDP was a clear winner and 'a genuine class act'.
'The Eastern Daily Press is a grown up newspaper that stands up to the nationals and is very in-depth. The news coverage is comprehensive but it manages to change pace well – the features and quirky stories are all well-presented, with great design and images,' they added.
The quality of the EDP's columnists, photography, sports section and subbing were also highlighted.
After receiving the award from Sizewell B station director Jim Crawford and Natasha Baker of Great Britain's Paralympic dressage team, EDP editor Peter Waters said, 'I'm thrilled that we've added the EDF Energy Daily Newspaper of the Year title to our Regional Newspaper of the Year accolade from the national 2010 Newspaper Awards.
'To hold both prestigious titles at the same time is a rare achievement – this is a huge tribute to the dedicated, professional staff who work on it.'
'The team producing the EDP have a passion for where we live and for providing our consistuency with a first class, quality and authoritative service.
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 3 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 4 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 5 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 6 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 8 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 9 Norfolk glamping site with natural pool named among UK's best newcomers
- 10 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
'I am a firm believer that Archant owns the business of the Eastern Daily Press but the newspaper belongs to our readers. Last October we celebrated our 140th anniversary and the tradition of serving our communities is ingrained in our journalists.'
In a rare print-online double, EDP digital developer Stephen Keable stepped up to receive the Website of the Year title for the newspaper's edp24.co.uk.
Commenting on the website, the judges said, 'With two and a half million monthly page views, edp24.co.uk really stood out for its level of innovation and 'rich content' including a brilliant and very different virtual reality museum of Norfolk'.
'This is testament to Stephen's hard work in the last year to develop the website beyond just being the first point of call for breaking news.
'The lifestyle content and puzzles sections are second to none, and I am delighted that the virtual reality museum, compiled with the help of our readers, has been recognised as an outstanding innovation,' added Mr Waters.