Norfolk rally team to make 1,500-mile trip across Europe in aid of EACH
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk rally team is set to embark on a 1,500-mile trip across Europe in an old Mercedes as they look to raise funds for East Anglia's Children's Hospices (EACH).
The NRtoRN2017 team – named after the postcodes at the course's start and finishing points – will take part in the Rockin to Rimini Wacky Rally, which begins in Norwich and ends on Italy's east coast.
Their 1999 Mercedes C220 will take them across seven countries in five days, with all proceeds going to EACH's Nook Appeal. The nook fundraising revolves around the hospice's efforts to construct a new purpose-built facility in Norfolk.
The charity's proposed build in Framingham Earl would replace the current hospice in Quidenham, which has been deemed ill-equipped to accommodate children requiring specialist care.
Team member Alan Kirton, 40, from Thorpe Marriott, expressed the group's desire to help the children's hospices.
You may also want to watch:
'EACH is not necessarily a cause that is personal to any of the team, but we've chosen it because we wanted to give something back to the community and raise money for a local charity.
'The current facility is sub-standard and it would be great if they could build a new hospice in the future.'
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 10 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
Provided there are no breakdowns or wrong turns, NRtoRN2017 will begin their journey in Thorpe Marriott on Thursday June 22 and arrive on Italy's east coast on Monday. Cars have to cost no more than £300 and be 'wackied' up in imaginative ways.
'The Mercedes has been sat in a farmer's field for a few years, but it's in decent condition.
'Most of the work we've done has been on the exterior. The car been decorated to follow a theme of the rally route, including a picture of Norwich cathedral on the bonnet.'
The team's progress during the rally can be followed on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram; all accounts are titled @NRtoRN2017.
NRtoRN2017 can also be sponsored by visiting https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/norfolkwackyrally.