Norfolk primary school teacher admits sex offence
A primary school teacher has been warned he could face jail after admitting a sex offence.
Shaun Calver, 42, of Norwich Road, Watton, worked on a temporary contract at Ashill Primary School, near Watton and admitted breaching his position of trust by engaging in sexual activity with a 17 year-old girl.
Calver was due to stand trial at Norwich Crown Court but changed his plea to guilty just before the trial started.
Calver's barrister Lawrence Bruce explained his plea was on a written basis which included the fact that the sexual activity happened on one occasion and that the girl had consented.
Judge Anthony Bate adjourned the case for full reports until May 2 but warned Calver all sentencing options would be open to the court.
You may also want to watch:
He said that on his guilty plea he also had to immediately sign on to the sex offender register
After the case Ashill's headteacher, Kelly Scott, said Calver was suspended from his temporary contract as soon as the allegation came to light and is no longer employed there.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 7 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 8 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 9 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 10 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
'The charge does not relate to any former or current pupils at our school,' she said.
'We have been working closely with Norfolk Constabulary and Norfolk County Council to ensure we follow all of the correct procedures.
'Our focus continues to be the education and well being of our pupils.'