Norfolk nurse Kate Barmby through to week three of the Great British Bake Off
- Credit: BBC/Love Productions/Mark Bourdillon
A selection of butterfly-shaped biscuits and a winning Viennese whirl saw Norfolk nurse Kate Barmby secure her place in next week's Great British Bake Off.
The 37-year-old impressed both judges during tonight's show, despite Paul Hollywood initially admitting he was not a fan of the flavours used in her first creation.
Kate, who works at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, created 'A biscuit for the broads' using lavender and bergamot for her signature bake.
While the combination of flavours was described as having a medicinal smell to begin with, judge Mary Berry said the biscuit was a 'winner' after taking a bite.
Judges continued to pour on the praise during the technical challenge, which tasked bakers to create the perfect Viennese whirl.
Kate, who lives in Brooke, near Norwich, was told her biscuit had 'just the right amount' of jam and cream, before being chosen as the winner for the second challenge.
For her showstopper bake, she took inspiration from her role as a Brownies leader to make a gingerbread creation called 'I promise to do my best' using three different types of gingerbread.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 4 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 5 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 6 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
- 7 9 of the best campsites on the Norfolk coast
- 8 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 9 Factory worker was found dead at home, court told
- 10 Norwich man wins jackpot on BBC game show Pointless
Despite Mary saying her design looked 'lovely', Paul was more critical of the taste. He said: 'I am struggling to find the ginger and it is quite soft as well.'
Candice Brown was chosen as the star baker during tonight's episode, while Louise Williams left the competition.