Norfolk man runs through Munich Olympic Stadium in iconic Norwich City shirt 25 years after famous win
- Credit: Archant
A Norwich City fan from Dereham has completed the Munich Marathon in the Olympic Stadium sporting Norwich City's iconic 1993 kit, twenty five years since the club's famous UEFA cup victory against Bayern Munich on the same ground.
Jonathan Burton finished the marathon in the stadium almost 25 years to the day that Norwich City, who were huge underdogs going into the match, won 2-1 in Germany and made it through to the third round of the Uefa Cup to play Inter Milan.
Jeremy Goss' famous thunderbolt followed by Mark Bowen's header on October 19 1993 gave City victory, which was followed by a 1-1 draw in the second leg at Carrow Road to take them through.
Mr Burton said: 'The race itself didn't go great for me but I finished and to run back into the stadium was something else.'
He also tweeted: '25 yrs ago this week in this stadium, it was Jeremy Goss, Bryan Gunn and (Mark) Bowen... tomorrow it's the finish of the Marathon Munich, egg and cress to be worn..!'
You may also want to watch:
City failed to make it any further, losing to Inter Milan in consecutive third round legs but their victory against Bayern Munich remains one of the club's biggest achievements.
- 1 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 4 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 5 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 8 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 9 Drivers facing long delays on A146 due to roadworks
- 10 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park