Norfolk man jailed for rolling pin attack on Tesco worker

A judge said that vulnerable shop workers needed to be protected after he jailed a man who attacked a Norfolk supermarket worker with a rolling pin.

Glen Collier, 40, had earlier been asked to leave the Tesco store in Yaxham Road, Dereham, after he grabbed a metal cage from Tesco worker Graham Carter and started using it like a scooter, scattering plastic and boxes during a late-night shopping trip.

Norwich Crown Court heard that after security was called, Collier, who smelled of drink, had shaken Mr Carter's hand and then left the store.

But about half an hour later, Collier returned and hit Mr Carter over the head with a rolling pin as he was putting stock in the freezer.

Rachel Cushing, prosecuting, said that one witness described Collier as appearing to be grinning as he crouched over Mr Carter.

Mr Carter fought Collier off, but had cuts to his head which needed to be glued at hospital, as well as swelling and bruising.

Mrs Cushing said that Mr Carter said he was shocked at the attack which had been completely unprovoked and said that Collier appeared to be in a rage when he carried out the assault.

Most Read

Collier, of Norwich Road, Dereham, admitted causing actual bodily harm to Mr Carter.

The court heard Collier had been drinking and could not remember anything about the attack.

Jailing him for two months, Judge Paul Downes said that vulnerable workers such as shopworkers and hospital workers needed to be protected.

'They are vulnerable to attack because they are there on the premises all the time.'

He said the attack had not been done in the 'heat of the moment' but Collier had returned and then armed himself with a rolling pin. 'You used a weapon on this man, something which was fairly hefty. It caused him unpleasant injuries. People working in shops have to be protected. Behaving in this way is not acceptable.'

He said he was keeping the sentence short in the hope Collier would keep his job and his accommodation.

Ian James, for Collier, said that he could not remember the exact details of the attack, which was probably due to the vodka and port he had been drinking.

He said that Collier, who had never been in trouble before was under stress at the time: 'This behaviour is out of character for him. It is very clear at the time he did this and behaved in this way he had a number of quite serious personal difficulties.'

He said since the incident, Collier, who was a married man with a family, had sought help for his drinking and seen the mental health treatment team.