Norfolk drink driver jailed after 60 mile journey along A505, A11 and A14 which was ended after tyre explosion

Norwich Crown Court. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY

Norwich Crown Court. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY - Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016

A man who had twice been banned for drink driving has been jailed after he drove about 60 miles at three times the legal limit - only stopping after his tyre exploded.

Daniel Gammans, 33, was spotted driving in an 'erratic' manner, changing speed and 'swerving all over the road' on his 60-mile journey from Stevenage to Thetford.

Gammans, who forced one motorist to swerve to avoid him as he came onto the A505, was described as being 'crazy' with one driver even thinking he had fallen asleep behind the wheel at one point.

Norwich Crown Court heard motorists were forced to avoid Gammans who drove at speeds of 70mph along the A505, A11 and A14.

Gammans came unstuck when he struck a traffic island near Thetford which resulted in his tyre exploding and him driving about two miles on the wheel rim.

He pulled over at a trading estate in Thetford where he was approached by police. He was unsteady on his feet and found to have a number of bottles of alcohol, still with security tags on, in the car.

Tests revealed he had 108mcg of alcohol in 100mls of breath.

Most Read

The legal limit is 35.

Gammans claimed he was so shocked about his tyre exploding that he drunk a bottle of wine after he stopped but this was rejected.

Gammans, who has been banned from driving twice before for driving with excess alcohol and also has a drug driving conviction, was sentenced on Thursday, August 3 having previously admitted dangerous driving and theft of the alcohol on May 30 last year.

He had also admitted a separate theft offence on May 12 last year.

Jailing Gammans for a year, Recorder Anthony Clover said: 'It's difficult to choose words which can describe the level of danger that you posed to other road users and members of the public on that day. It was an offence of real seriousness.'

Gammans, of Main Road, Fleggburgh, near Great Yarmouth, was also disqualified from driving for four and a half years and will have to take an extended retest before he is able to get behind the wheel again.

Jonathan Morgans, for Gammans, said he was genuinely remorseful as evidenced by his pleas.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter