Norfolk drama group’s fundraising bid
A Norfolk theatre group are holding a gala and auction in a bid to help plug a funding gap.
Back in 2004 the Norfolk Youth Music Theatre staged Sondheim's spine tingling musical Sweeney Todd in King's Lynn and despite rave reviews suffered a �5,000 loss, which the cast of 11 – 19 year-olds spent the summer fundraising to cover.
This April a repeat of the same show in Norwich got similar rave reviews, but again ended with a shortfall of �4,000.
Now the drama company are holding on a fundraising gala concert to help cover the shortfall, featuring 30 current members of the group performing a programme of music from past shows, ranging from simple songs to full blown operatic choruses.
The concert and also an auction takes place in the grounds of The Grange in Thelverton, near Diss, on Saturday and a limited number of tickets are still on sale.
Norfolk YMT artistic director Adrian Connell said the company was not in financial trouble but the fundraising would help to recoup what they had lost.
Speaking about the gala, he said: 'The event has been brilliantly supported with many donations in auction prizes, marquees, lighting and sound equipment and is well on the way to achieving our target – everything raised will be spent on the company.'
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 5 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 6 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 7 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 8 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 9 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 10 Banksy work removed and put in museum due to local sensitivity
Tickets are priced �25 for adults (including the evening's wine and cocktails) or �10 for children. They give entry both to the concert and a auction of exclusive items including a vintage Prada handbag. Anyone can bid for the items by sending a sealed bid the company.
Tickets can be bought by calling 01263 825719, emailing email@example.com or by sending a cheque to Norfolk YMT, 64 Beeston Common, Sheringham, NR26 8EU.
Auditions are also now open for Norfolk Youth Music Theatre's next production, Whistle Down the Wind, which will be performed at the Maddermarket Theatre from October 31 – November 3. To reserve an audition slot in September, go to www.norfolkymt.net/ for details.