Wildcats to take to the skies for Norfolk Day
- Credit: Wildcats Aerobatics
They're one of only a handful of teams in Europe who can perform the daredevil, seemingly gravity defying, aerobatics they do.
And now, as they take to the skies for their 100th display, the Wildcat Aerobatics team will be doing so on Norfolk Day at the Old Buckenham Air Show.
Formed in 2010 by Al Coutts and Willie Cruikshank Wildcat Aerobatics are Norfolk's only aerobatic formation team.
A rare breed, together the duo perform some of the most demanding aerobatic manoeuvres the laws of physics allow, all while travelling at 150mph.
Just one of the highlights on the line-up for this year's airshow, which will take place on July 27-28, the team's return to the event will be their first since 2017.
You may also want to watch:
Performing twice over the weekend, during their shows, the Wildcat pilots experience gravitational forces of up to 6G, and at times are less than six feet apart from one another.
Mr Coutts, who has been flying since the age of 19, said: "It's serendipitous that we find ourselves performing our 100th display at Old Buckenham on Norfolk Day, it's the ultimate celebration of this milestone to be performing to our home crowd."
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 10 Residents' anger at Deliveroo motorcycle drivers using pavement shortcut
Mr Cruickshank added: "As Wildcat Aerobatics we performed our first public display at Old Buckenham on 24 June 2012 so it's a welcome twist of fate that we are returning to our roots for our 100th performance.
"Old Buckenham Airfield has been like a second home to Wildcat so it's always felt extra-special to display there in front of a home crowd; I'm sure this year will be no different."
Matt Wilkins, the manager of Old Buckenham Airfield, said: "Having been able to watch the story of the Wildcats from their first display onwards has been a wonderful privilege.
"Being able confirm their return to the county's only airshow is fabulous. However the fact that their 100th display will also coincide with Norfolk Day makes the welcome return of our friends Willie and Al an unmissable part of the celebration of all things Norfolk," he said.
Norfolk Day 2019, will take place on Saturday July 27, details of all events and those taking part will be revealed in this newspaper, online in the run up to the day.
- To get involved email email@example.com, tweet @norfolk using #NorfolkDay or visit the Norfolk Day Facebook group.