Norfolk Cub Scouts meet Bear Grylls at national event
- Credit: Archant
A group of scouts have been shown the ropes - and the knots - by TV survival expert Bear Grylls at a national retreat.
Cub Scouts from East Harling were among 1,200 youngsters from across England and Wales celebrating 100 years of scouting at a week-long camp at Gilwell Park on the London and Essex border this week.
The CubJam event had a Wild West theme, with scouts trying their hand at caving, archery, bungee running, zorbing and motor racing, alongside traditional camp-based activities.
Chief Scout and adventurer Bear Grylls also made a flying visit via helicopter to meet the Cub Scouts, with naturalist Steve Backshall visiting later in the week.
The Harling scouts taking part had a great time, according to Penny Harris, Cub Scout leader.
You may also want to watch:
'CubJam is a fantastic opportunity for Cubs to see that Cub Scouting happens all across the UK and that they are a part of a massive movement – it's much bigger than what they see at home.'
Alfie Kindlysides, 10, Cub Scout from Harling, said: 'Being at CubJam is like going on a big holiday with your friends, you get to meet loads of new people, make new friends and go on loads of fun activities.'
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 4 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 7 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 8 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 9 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
Bear Grylls said: 'I am super proud to be a part of celebrating 100 years of Cub Scouting by visiting over 1,200 buzzing girls and boys at CubJam.
'This event is unique as it gives a chance for Cubs across the UK to meet up and share fun and adventures in a way that only Scouting can.'
Are you holding an event? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org