Norfolk couple reported safe and well after Typhoon Haiyan ordeal

Grethen and David McMeghie, who have been found safe after being Tacloban during Typhoon Haiyan

Grethen and David McMeghie, who have been found safe after being Tacloban during Typhoon Haiyan - Credit: Archant

The friends and family of a couple who were caught up in the path of Typhoon Haiyan can breathe a sigh of relief after they were reported to be safe and well following five days on the missing list.

Staff at Browns restaurant, in Mundford, and The Swan, in Hilborough, finally had good news about David and Gretchen McMeghie this morning after last hearing from them on Thursday night.

The couple, from Hilborough, had been staying in Tacloban with Mrs McMeghie's family since November 3 on a 'dream holiday', having got married in the Phillipines three years earlier.

They had joked on Facebook that they had chosen the wrong time to go on the three week trip, with a Category 5 typhoon set to make landfall on Friday.

Help save lives in the Philippines – EDP and Norwich Evening News launch appeal with Unicef after Typhoon Haiyan shatters millions of lives


You may also want to watch:


Photo gallery: Heartbreaking images from the Philippines that show just why is so important to support the appeal to help save and rebuild typhoon-hit lives

Most Read

As the news unravelled over the coming days, panicked friends desperately tried to make contact with them, with Mr McMeghie's daughter calling the Red Cross to have them put on the missing list.

But as increasing numbers of people were found, there was still no news on the Norfolk couple.

Clare Elmer, owner of The Swan, said staff at the pub had become particularly concerned as Mr McMeghie was usually good at staying in contact.

'We were so anxious because David is the sort of guy that if there is technology about, he will get on it and get in touch.

'When we started to hear what was happening to people there, but that more and more were pulling through, it made it even worse that we hadn't heard from them,' she said.

But there was relief for the couple's loved ones at around 6am this morning after Mrs McMeghie's cousin made contact with friends through Facebook, telling them they were on a flight out of the ravaged islands.

Mrs McMeghie's cousin lives in a mountainous area above Tacloban, and it was a friend of her's who tracked down the couple having hiked into the flooded city. He then returned to the mountains to tell Mrs McMeghie's cousin.

Mrs Elmer said it was not clear whether or not the couple were coming home or going elsewhere, with two weeks of their holiday left to take.

Do you have friends or family still missing in the Phillipines? Did you or anyone you know witness the storms? Email newsdesk@archant.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus