Norfolk couple named winners of the AA’s Friendliest B&B Award
- Credit: www.onlocationevents.co.uk
Mike and Alison Thomas from the Old Bakery in Hindolveston triumphed over the 23 other finalists who were nominated by inspect who rate more than 2,300 B&Bs across the UK.
The awards, presented at the annual ceremony at the London Landmark Hotel, included guest accommodation for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as well as the awards for Funkiest Bed and Breakfast and Friendliest Bed and Breakfast.
Mike and Alison have been welcoming guests at The Old Bakery since July 2011, after six months of renovating the Georgian building.
They moved from Sussex in 2010 leaving management roles in food retailing and banking to set up the sort of B&B they felt they would like to stay in.
Just six weeks after opening the B&B in July 2011 they had their first undercover inspection by the AA. This resulted in The Old Bakery being awarded their first 4 Star Gold Award and a Breakfast Award for their legendary breakfasts.
You may also want to watch:
Mike's signature dish, the Great Snoring breakfast, was created using Quail Eggs from Top Farm in the nearby village of Great Snoring.
'We feel that we are inviting people into our home rather than a commercial property,' he said. 'The first thing we do is to offer tea and home-made cake as soon as the guests have settled in and we have a chat to find out if there is anything we can help them with.
- 1 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 2 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 3 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 4 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 5 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 6 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 7 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 8 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 9 Mum's relief at Cawston Park closure after 'hideous' restraint on son
- 10 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
'Breakfasts for our guests is around a large dining table, we are always on hand to make introductions and it soon feels like a family get together as guests share experiences of Norfolk, their lives, their loved ones and their travels.'