Norfolk couple found dead in Cyprus home following a leak from a suspected faulty heater

Linda Lincoln. Picture credit: Xenion School, Cyprus.

Linda Lincoln. Picture credit: Xenion School, Cyprus. - Credit: Archant

Investigations are under way today after the death of a Norfolk couple in Cyprus.

A Generic Photo of an aerial view of Latchi beach, Paphos area, Cyprus. See PA Feature TRAVEL Cyprus

A Generic Photo of an aerial view of Latchi beach, Paphos area, Cyprus. See PA Feature TRAVEL Cyprus. Picture: PA Photo/thinkstockphotos. - Credit: PA

The bodies of Ken Lincoln, 59, and his wife Linda, 56, were found by police in the living room of their flat in the town of Paralimni, in the east of the Mediterranean island.

An inquiry is ongoing, but the deaths are believed to been caused by gas poisoning following a leak from a suspected faulty heater.

The couple have lived on the island for several years, where Mrs Lincoln worked as an administrator at a local private school.

Mr Lincoln is understood to have worked as a construction worker and although permanent residents in the Famagusta area of Cyprus, the couple are said to still have strong links with the Wymondham area.

Xenion School in Cyprus. Picture: XENION SCHOOL.

Xenion School in Cyprus. Picture: XENION SCHOOL. - Credit: Archant

Mrs Lincoln's Facebook page also states that she studied at Norcat, King's Lynn.

Katelitsa Phylactou, director of the Xenion School where Mrs Lincoln had worked for more than nine years, confirmed that it would be holding a memorial service on Monday.

Most Read

She paid tribute to 'a valuable member of staff'.

'Many of [Linda's] friends will be here and all of the school will attend,' she said. 'She was a very special person and a valuable member of staff. She has been working here for nine years so it's the least we can do. She will be greatly missed.'

A tribute was also posted on the school's Facebook page, where dozens of people left messages of support to the couple's family and friends.

Police had first been alerted after Mrs Lincoln failed to show up for her job on Tuesday, and could not be reached by telephone.

A report stated that on entry to the apartment, there was an intense smell of gas, which led authorities to believe that the couple might have died as a result of a leak. It is thought that the gas heater had been used on Monday night.

State pathologist Sofoclis Sophocleous carried out a post mortem examination on Wednesday morning at the Nicosia general hospital. Further forensic tests are currently underway, to establish the exact cause of death.

Famagusta police spokesman George Economou ruled out foul play and said the gas heater was being examined by experts. So far police have not confirmed what kind of heater it was.

A spokesman from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirmed that it was providing support to family members and would remain in contact with local authorities.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter